Today is the first day of Food Allergy Awareness Week. 🙂
It seems as though this week holds different meanings for different people. Some celebrate their family or friend living with food allergies and pay acknowledgement to the struggles they face each day. Some are fundraising for their local FARE walk so there will be more funding for education, advocacy, and research. Some are taking the opportunity to simply educate others about food allergies.
For my family, we are celebrating my son and his success at not letting food allergies define him! He lives every day with a smile and seldom, if ever, complains about his diagnosis. Our family has registered The Food Allergy Mom Team for the Houston FARE walk and are already fundraising. Want to support us? Please make a donation or register to walk with us here.
What will you do this Food Allergy Awareness Week? Need a few ideas?
- Register for your local FARE walk
- Make a donation to support a friend walking for FARE
- Make a new allergy-friendly recipe for your loved one
- Write your state representatives to let them know where you stand with food allergy legislation
- Give your family/friend with food allergies a hug and tell them how proud you are
Want to educate others with some fast food allergy facts? Check out the below statistics and share with others.
- 1 in every 13 children has a food allergy. That’s two in every classroom.
- Every 3 min, a food allergy reaction sends someone to the ER – that’s more than 200,000 visits per year
- 8 foods account for 90% of all reactions: milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, wheat, fish and shellfish www.foodallergy.org/allergens
- Food allergies can begin at any age and affect children and adults of all races and ethnicity. Learn more: www.foodallergy.org
- There was an 18% increase in food allergy from 1997-2007. Learn more about research on new therapies www.foodallergy.org/research
Have a fabulous idea you want to share with others? Please comment below or on our facebook page to share with the food allergy community.
Stay tuned for a wonderful guest post on Tuesday from one of my fellow food allergy bloggers!