Valentine’s Day is two weeks away and homeroom moms everywhere are gearing up to plan friendship parties. For many parents of children with food allergies, this can cause high levels of anxiety.
I’ll be honest, my son has outgrown the age where they celebrate Valentine’s at school, but I have a few tried and true tips that might help you if your child will be celebrating at school:
- Volunteer to be homeroom mom for the party. If that job is already taken, volunteer to be a helper and offer to purchase all the food so you can choose safe options for your child’s classroom.
- Volunteer for party set up so you can see how food is distributed and avoid harmful cross contamination of party treats.
- Make your child similar foods. If I spoke with the teacher ahead of time and deemed the food at the party to be unsafe, I simply made a like item at home and brought it to my son on a clean Valentine paper plate from home. Most kids were never the wiser and my son didn’t have to make his food allergies the center of attention and could just enjoy the party.
- Go through your child’s Valentine’s bags or mailboxes before he/she opens them up. In my experience, most teachers have an “open your Valentine’s at home” policy that will allow you to do so.
- Create a trade-in program for your child. I let my son trade in potentially unsafe treats to me and I would give him some safe candy or holiday trinkets that I bought for him.
That last bullet point used to be difficult for us…there are only so many pencils and stickers a child can get before they become tiresome. Luckily, we have more options today when it comes to non-food holiday treats. In my opinion, Oriental Trading Company makes finding such items a cinch…and all from the comfort of your home computer while you shop in your pajamas! And, of course, be sure to visit their coupon page to look for some awesome deals!
*Disclaimer: Oriental Trading did not pay me to write this post and the opinions expressed within are my own. They did, however, send me some free Valentine’s Day promotional items to test out myself. My family and I plan to donate these items to a local Houston hospital for children with health and dietary restrictions. My thanks to Oriental Trading for this opportunity to brighten the lives of others!*
Here are just a few of the adorable Oriental Trading goodies I am blessed to review:
These Valentine’s are so cute and kids will love that the figures are flexible! And as a mom, I love that these are Valentine’s that will work for boys and girls!
This sweet teddy bear figurine is too cute and comes in an assortment of colors!
These little owls are precious too!
These bracelets are perfect for church Valentine’s celebrations.
And bubbles are ALWAYS fun…especially when they’re packaged so darn cute!
More stretchy Valentine’s trinkets that are a hit with boys and girls alike!
A Valentine’s spinning top is sure to provide hours of entertainment for kiddos (and adults) of all ages.
This is one of my favorites…a whole domino set in a darling little red and white hearted velcro bag. So cute!
I love that Oriental Trading is a one-stop shop that offers non-food alternatives for food-filled holidays! Thank you, Oriental Trading for all you do!
What are your tried and true tips for having a safe and happy Valentine’s Day when you have food allergies?